A Letter To New CrossFitters and Exercisers
HI! Thank you so much for clicking on this blog. I hope the title caught your eye because you’re either a new CrossFitter, or you’ve just recently picked up exercising. Let me give you some background on me first.
My name is Clark. I’ve been doing this fitness thing for close to 10 years now. I really, REALLY love helping people (and I really love pizza!). I got into fitness to try and better myself. After realizing I had a pretty good gift of helping people better themselves as well, I decided to make this a career. I love my job, I love the people I work with, and I sincerely hope I get to work with you one day.
First of all, let me just say how proud I am of you for starting to take the first steps towards a healthier lifestyle. I truly understand how nerve racking and intimidating it might be to walk through the gym doors, or push the coffee table out of the way so you can make some more gym-space in your living room. What’s insporational to me is that you are stepping right over those fears and prioritizing yourself, your health, and your wellness. It’s an investment that has the greatest return: a longer and happier life.
Here are a few things that I’ve picked up along the way that I want you to know.
- YOU CAN DO THIS. I’ve seen people in worse shape than you transform their lives into something magical. If they can do it, you can do it. EVERYONE in the world can be fit.
- This is all worth it. I promise you that. There will be days that are tough, mentally defeating, and discouraging. But there are so many more days that are inspiring, encouraging, and so kick-ass that they’ll leave you standing on top of the freaking world. These days are worth all the struggle days! I tell this a lot to all my new clients, “I’ve never heard anyone say they regretted working out. Only that they’ve regretted not working out.” It’s worth it. Stick with it.
- There’s a community of people out there just like you who will support you throughout this entire journey… you just have to find them. We pride ourselves at CrossFit Yellow Rose as being the friendliest community on the planet, but that doesn’t mean we’re the only friendly place. There are plenty of online groups, other gyms, or friends you can confide in that will help you stick with it to the end (fun fact: it never ends… and you don’t want it to).
- There WILL be people that try and get you to stop along the way, or steer you wrong. A lot of these people won’t even know they’re doing it, but you need to recognize this early on. This doesn’t mean that you can’t be friends with them. It simply means that you need to look at situations with them objectively, and see if it’s going to help you get to where you want to be (maybe pre-gaming with them before the club, a late night of binge drinking, followed by fast food isn’t worth it for 12 weeks…)
- A positive mind will go a long way. Doubting yourself is silly, because there’s nothing to doubt. You CAN get fit. You CAN get healthier. You CAN do this.
Because you’re a stone cold badass that’s ready to take control of your life, remember? That’s right. You’re a badass. At least I think you are. You can do this.
If I can leave you with just one thing that will stick, it’s this. Ask questions. Aren’t sure how to get started? Ask someone. Aren’t sure what the best way to start a diet is? Ask someone. Ask a ton of questions. I’m ALWAYS here to answer your questions to the best of my abilities… and if I don’t know the answer, I know a whole bunch of people way smarter than I am who I can ask. We’ll help you get this sorted out.
Thanks for reading. I’ve been signing off these blog posts with the following for a while: “Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help you! Seriously! I mean that!” And I really do. Don’t hesitate to reach out to me or anyone on our team at Yellow Rose. We’re happy to help you.
Owner and Head Coach: CrossFit Yellow Rose